Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rubbing the Fir Needles Surfaced Its Tree Identification

Strongly being pulled and learning to "Communicate with the Trees on our Land", I have been deeply enthralled by the one here that has grown close to our house here for many years. It's scent is amazingly 'Citrusy' and yet sofly 'Woodsy' -- making my heartbeat refreshed by its sweet-smelling aroma when rubbed between my fingers!


I recently had posted a 'bough' of a branch that had fallen from this tree, and a dear fine Herbalist friend, Gail Faith Edwards, had suggested that it was either "fir or spruce, definitely not pine..." So I did a little research on the subject that's been nagging at me to identify this glorious Tree, and found a part of an article on Needles very interesting (to a beginner in Herbalism!) at http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2005/nov/061401.htm quote:




Needles

"Like deciduous trees, conifers can be identified by their "leaves." The "leaves" of conifers are of course their needles. On true pine trees, the needles are arranged and attached to the branches in clusters of two (red pine group), three (yellow pine group), or five (white pine group) needles per cluster. Spruce and fir trees have their needles attached individually to the branches.


"To tell spruce and fir trees apart, it helps to know that spruce needles are sharply pointed, square and easy to roll between your fingers. Fir needles, on the other hand, are softer, flat and cannot be rolled between your fingers. Spruce needles are attached to small, stalk-like woody projections. When needles are shed, these projections remain. As a result, the branches of spruce trees feel rough. Fir branches lack these projections, and thus have smooth bark. The color and length of needles are not reliable means of identification; these can vary from tree to tree, depending on cultural conditions and the planting site."

Reading through this article, the words ROLL BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS and my experience physically with the touch of the Needles 'Rubbed between my fingers" clearly points out that 'Spirit is amongst those whom seek the Mysteries of the Trees' here -- and pointed me in the Direction in know knowing what this beautiful Tree is: it's a FIR!

"I WENT AND TRIED ROLLING THESE DELICATE NEEDLES BETWEEN MY FINGERS, YET THE DID NOT ROLL; THEY LAID FLAT."   ~ISW

In dedication to my love of our Trees this year in 2012, I yearn to learn as much about them as I can -- the ones specifically that grow on my Land, so that I can further dedicate my Self to the Goddess and Gods once again on my Spiritual Road I take on my Path amongst the very Trees in the Woods that provide me Peace, Guidance, and Protection 'Within' as well as 'Without' my Self.

SO MOTE IT BE!

Blessed Be the Fir Tree.
   )O( Indigenous Shamanic Winds

No comments:

Post a Comment